Contact Fiore Hand & Wrist Surgeons
Fiore Hand & Wrist, P.A.
11307 FM 1960 RD W #250
Houston, TX 77065-4917

Telephone: (281) 970 8002
FAX: (281) 970 8770


Houston Hand Skin Grafting

SKIN GRAFTING PROCEDURES


When injuries such as severe burns or abrasions severely damage the skin, grafts taken from other portions of the body are used to speed healing and improve skin function and appearance in the damaged area. After the area is cleaned of damaged skin through excision or debridement, the transplanted skin is used to cover the damaged area, attaching to the tissue below.

The skin is made up of two layers, the dermis and the epidermis. The dermis is the deeper layer which makes up 95% of the skin thickness. The epidermis, the outermost layer comprises the other 5%. Skin grafts are classified into two categories, depending upon the thickness of the transplanted skin and the amount of dermis involved.

Full-Thickness Skin Grafts: uses the full-thickness of both layers of skin. The graft is taken from the donor site with a scalpel. The donor site wound is then sutured together leaving a line scar. This type of graft is often used in visible areas, such as the face or hands. The transplanted skin retains more characteristics, such as color, thickness, and texture, of normal skin than split-thickness grafts do.

Split-Thickness Skin Grafts: uses a thin layer of skin shaved from the donor site to cover damaged areas. This method is often used to treat burns. The thin layer of skin taken from the donor site eventually grows back on its own, though it is often lighter in color than before.

Houston hand surgeon Dr. Fiore is board certified by the American Board of Surgery and fellowship trained in hand and microsurgery. For more information about skin grafts to the hand, or to schedule a consultation, call Fiore Hand & Wrist Surgical Associates at (281) 970-8002.



Areas of Accreditation